If you are getting the "Communicating Unsuccessful!" error when you are trying to communicate between LaserCAD and the AWC608 Laser Cutter and Engraver controller (after you have already tried installing the USB driver from the LaserCAD setup procedure), these are the steps you will need for a successful communication:
- Open the Device Manager window (right click on the start menu and select Device Manager)
- When you plug the USB cable from the AWC608 Laser Cutter Controller (USB Type B connector) to the computer, you should see a new item in the Device Manager, possibly under "Ports (COM & LPT)", or under "Other Devices". It may show as an item under "Other Devices", possibly FT245R and has an "!" in a yellow triangle.
- Download the latest FTDI drivers from: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm
- Unzip the files to a folder that can be easily browsed.
- Right click on the item that appeared in the Device Manager when the cable was plugged in between the Laser Cutter AWC608 controller and the computer.
- Click on update driver
- Select the procedure to manually install the driver and browse to the folder containing the FTDI driver and follow the step in the driver installation wizard.
- The item should now be located under the "Ports (COM & LPT)" and should be named "USB Serial Device (COM#)". The # will be the number you will use in the LaserCAD software.
- In the LaserCAD software, click the "Select Mode" at the far top right of the Laser CAD user interface.
- Make sure USB mode is selected.
- If the Machine name with the correct COM number is listed, select it and exit the dialog window. Otherwise, click on "Add" and fill in the details with the new COM number.
Click the link to respond:
LaserCAD AWC608 USB Communicating Unsuccessful.