Here is your chance to build a machine that can form 3D plastic models that builds objects up to 160mm x 190mm x 125mm, literally from the bottom-up.
Traditionally called an FDM machine (Fused Deposition Modeling), the whiteAnt will create 3D models by "depositing" extruded plastic from a nozzle, "fusing" the plastic, layer-by-layer, starting from the bottom of the model to the top. Change the form factor of the machine, by lowering the frame, inserting a Dremel, and you have a mini-CNC milling machine.
The easiest way to get started is to buy the book!! For those that did purchase the book, the plans are here. The book guides you through the entire process of building this machine from scratch. Moreover, and the most exciting part of this book, is that it will help you master the electronics wiring (Gen 4) and software setup (ReplicatorG) for all of these types of machines (including the makerbot). You will dog-ear the heck out of this book!
The current kit provides hardware, structural components, motors, and mechanical components. The travel for each axis is: X-160mm, Y-190mm and Z-125mm.
What the three (3) kits include:
- All hardware to assemble the kit
- All mechanical components (drive pulleys, bearings, lead screw, anti-backlash Nut, etc.)
- 4 NEMA 23 Stepping Motors (1 for the Extruder and 1 motor for each axis)
- Structural components
- One (1) Main board
- Four (4) stepping motor drivers
- Three (3) end stops (with cabling from end stop to main board)
- One (1) extruder controller
- Everything the Base Kit
- Everything from the Gen4 Bundle
- One (1) Arduino Mega 2560
- One (1) 3D Printer Extruder
- One (1) 12 volt Power Supply for use with 3D Printers
Below are the electronics that can be purchased separately.
3D Printer ExtruderArduino Mega 2560
whiteAnt Original Plans